Monday, March 26, 2007

Congrats & Cupcakes

Congratulations to my wicked smart husband for finishing your 2nd year (M2) of medical school on Friday. I'm proud of you for putting another year of difficult schoolwork behind you. I'm also thankful for your ability to consume mountains of information in little or no time, because of which I am able to see you and spend time with you on a regular basis. I know a lot of your classmates struggle and spend all day, every day studying, and their spouses spend most of their time alone and I'm thankful I don't have to.

I dropped by a new shop in Ann Arbor called Cake Nouveau on Saturday to pick up some cupcakes to help celebrate the end of Mike M2 year. The shop was adorable and the cake was filled with four flavors of cupcakes, all unique and tempting. I brought them home and suprised Mike with them and later that night we anxiously cut into each one to try a piece. I have one word to describe them...disgusting. The cake flavors, although ambitious (strawberry lemonade, for example) we dense, faintly moist, but unflavorful. They were decorated very cute, but the frosting all tasted the same...like a stick of butter. Now I for one like buttercream frosting, but it literally tasted like a slick of butter, a dash of sugar and food coloring. At $2.50 a piece they should have been edible. The kicker is...the nice woman who owns the shop just won a Food Network Challenge...how? Did the judges actually taste her cake or just look at them...because they are impressive to look at. Needless to say, we ended up throwing them out, and if know my husband at all, you know that there is nothing he loves to eat more in this world than cake...and it was his suggestion to throw them in the trash.

No comments: