Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Work Ethic

I'm from the Midwest, and people from that area of the country are generally known for having a 'strong work ethic'. I have heard employers say in their hiring process that they look for people from the Midwest because of this trait. It means that you have a job to work, you show up on time, you leave when you are suppose to, you don't take 2 hour lunches, you do your work and you put some pride into it. Now of course there are people from the Midwest who don't work hard, but for the greater population, it's just a way of life. I have a strong work ethic, its just part of who I am.

So you can imagine my suprise when I have co-workers who don't show up until after 10 and then leave at 4, and it just leaves me dumbfounded because how does that add up to a full 8 hours? I would never in my wildest dreams be able to do that...I'd feel guilty, and dishonest..I mean they are PAYING you to WORK for 8 hours a day...so really, SHOULDN'T YOU WORK?

No comments: